Sunday, March 16, 2008

Boyfriend Secretly Lying When He Says “You’re Not Fat”

“Dude, what am I supposed to say?” Defensively replied Matt (his real name is being withheld for the sake of privacy) when asked about a recent discussion he had with his girlfriend. “We’ve been together for a long time, and I still love her and all.”

Matt showed us a picture of Crystal, his girlfriend of three years.

“She’s pretty hot, right? I took this picture, like, two weeks after we started dating. Since then, she pretty much stopped working out and she just wants to chill at home and watch movies and stuff.” After a long pause, looking at the photo, he continued. “So I was watching T.V. and she just walks into the room like, ‘Do I look fat?’ I wasn’t really listening, so I almost slipped. But I was all, ‘No baby, you look fine.’ But actually, she did put on some weight.”

The story is pathetically common, Matt, like many men, has no choice but to lie.

“I mean, come on! You buy your own clothes; you don’t know you’re getting bigger? It’s not like I buy her clothes and switch the tags with tags from smaller clothes before I get home. But she doesn’t want the truth; she wants me to placate her.”

But does she want the truth? Do women really mean it when they preface a personal question with “Honestly”? Is there truly some intent toward self-improvement that asks these questions for posterity’s sake?

The answer is no.

0 comments: